Safeguarding at Sladewood
The Government* defines safeguarding as:
- protecting children from maltreatment
- preventing impairment to children’s health or development
- ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcome.
At Sladewood, staff are committed to creating and maintaining a safe learning environment for all our young people.
Headteacher, Mrs Katy Hanna is our Designated Safeguarding Lead and is supported by a Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and the Safeguarding link to the Local Advisory Board.
All staff receive regular Child Protection mandatory training and are kept up to date with child protection procedures.
We take very seriously our responsibility to identify where there are child welfare concerns and take action to address them in partnership with other organisations. Early Help is a key part of our safeguarding strategy. Students are given numerous opportunities to consider risk situations and explore strategies for keeping safe, and staff are asked to remain vigilant and report any concerns to the designated teacher or any adult.
If family, friends or other professionals have any concerns they are advised to contact our DSLs via the school office on 01453 709300. In addition, advice and guidance can be sought from the Local Authority Designated Officer by emailing LADO@gloucestershire.gov.uk
*Keeping Children Safe in Education 2022, Department for Education
Early Help at Sladewood
Support for family and young people is most effective when offered at the earliest or most opportune time. Sladewood Academy’s staff work with numerous agencies to offer help as quickly as possible. Areas where we can help are:
- links to the School Nursing Service and wider health professionals
- information to support social inclusion and safeguarding
- working with charities and trusts to help families going through difficult times whether financial or emotional.
If you would like more information about any of our wider services please contact a member of the school’s Safeguarding team or go to the Gloucestershire Family Information Services website (link below).